By Zuki Ngai
What is a toner and what are its benefits?
A toner is a fast-penetrating liquid that acts as a primer for the rest of your skincare routine (according to dermatologist Arielle Kauvar). Depending on the ingredients, the benefits of toners can vary; generally, they can help deep cleansing the skin, hydrate the skin, balance your skin’s PH, and ultimately allow your skincare products to absorb better.
How to use toners?
Toners should be used after cleansing and should be included in both daytime and night-time skincare routines (advised by dermatologist Amy Wechsler). Toner can be applied using fingertips by tapping the toner directly onto the skin, dispensed onto a cotton facial pad and gently swiped across the skin working outwards or sprayed directly to the face. Toner can also be applied to the neck and chest using these methods.
What toner should I choose?
Like any other product, whether skincare or makeup, you want to choose the product that is best suited to your skin type and correctly addresses your skin concerns. What should you be looking for in your toner?
If you have dry skin:
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID: Harsh ingredients that could dry out the skin, e.g. alcohol.
If you have acne concerns:
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID: If you’re prone to blemishes lightweight and gentle formulas may be more suited to you; stay away from alcohol-based toners.
INGREDIENTS TO EMBRACE: Tea tree oil is perfect for fighting oils and bacteria, alpha hydroxyl acid is good for removing dead skin and reducing oils that can clog pores and while aloe vera is great for calming inflammation and redness
If you have large pores:
INGREDIENTS TO EMBRACE: Niacinamide is a great ingredient for reducing the appearance of pores.
If you have combination skin:
INGREDIENTS TO EMBRACE: You will want a toner with a well-balanced formula that can remove excess oils while keeping the skin hydrated. When searching for a toner, consider nourishing antioxidants and gentle acids such as hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid and lactic acid.
If you have oily skin:
If you have sensitive skin:
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID: Stay away from harsh ingredients like alcohol.
INGREDIENTS TO EMBRACE: Chamomile is great for soothing.
Kokoa’s Organic Rosewater & Glycerin Toner
This amazing toner is made naturally from steamed rose petals and has an array of benefits, including refreshing the skin, tightens pores, plumps skin, balances skin PH and removes excess dirt and oils.
These ingredients will help you achieve the youthful, radiant and hydrated skin you’ve always desired!
1) PLANT GLYCERIN: is a plant-derived humectant, which allows the skin to retain moisture significantly.
2) ROSEWATER: has mild antibacterial, astringent and antioxidant properties that help to cleanse, tighten, strengthen and regenerate skin tissue.
Kokoa's Aloe, Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Anti Acne & Breakout Toner
1) WHITE WILLOW BARK: An amazing natural source of salicylic acid; a beta-hydroxy acid which is great at fighting breakouts and acne. It helps skin to shed dead cells, brightens, decreases redness, pimples & swelling.
2) TEA TREE: The anti-inflammatory effect of tea tree oil helps to soothe and relieve painful and irritated skin.
3) ALOE VERA & WITCH HAZEL: Both known for their fabulous ability to help soothe and calm the skin.
4) PLANT GLYCERIN: is an amazing hydrating natural 'humectant' which means it is a water-loving ingredient that draws moisture into the 'stratum corneum', the top layer of skin. Skin hydration at its best!
5) VITAMIN B3 (NIACINAMIDE): Clinically proven to reduce hyperpigmentation and aid against acne and breakouts.
Kokoa's Orange & Juniper Berry Brightening & Skin Clearing Toner
1) ORANGE BLOSSOM: & JUNIPERBERRY floral waters help to encourage vibrant, bright, healthy skin whilst boosting skin circulation. Orange blossom water has a high content of Vitamin C, which further aids bright complexion.
2) VITAMIN B3 (NIACINAMIDE)
3) WILLOW BARK
4) PLANT GLYCERIN
The amazing thing about Kokoa's toners is that they are a multiuse skincare element! You can use them:
- as a soothing, hydrating and gentle toner, by spraying onto a cotton pad and wipe down the skin to remove excess dirt, or spray directly onto the face to tighten pores and hydrate!
- as a makeup setting spray, or as a hydrating and cooling boost throughout the day, that won't damage your makeup!
Read more about our wonderful toners here!
Like what you’ve read? Perhaps you’re a natural/vegan beauty lover?
Check out our amazing product range!