Can African Black Soap Improve Hyperpigmentation
Can African Black Soap Improve Hyperpigmentation?
Famous for its healing properties and known to relieve symptoms of various skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis, Ghanaians have been successfully using African Black Soap for centuries.
The soap is not only suitable for all skin types, but it is also beneficial and effective. In fact, in a 2017 study, 91% of African Black Soap users reported that the soap helped improve their skin conditions. But, how effective is the soap in improving the appearance of hyperpigmentation?
What is Hyperpigmentation?
Before we can consider if African Black Soap can improve hyperpigmentation, let's delve into what hyperpigmentation actually is.
Hyperpigmentation is commonly known as patches of skin that become darker than surrounding areas of skin. It can occur in small patches, cover large areas or even affect the entire body.
The most common ways of developing hyperpigmentation are through sun exposure and inflammation, as this is where melanin production can increase.
Why does Hyperpigmentation Occur?
Hyperpigmentation can develop for several reasons, including:
- Sun / UV ray exposure: Excess sun exposure can trigger melanin (natural skin pigment) production and produce hyperpigmentation through sun spots.
- Skin inflammation: Signs of inflammation include pain, redness, swelling and heat, and is usually caused by an injury, infection or reaction.
- Melasma: A facial pigmentation that appears blotchy and is most common in darker skin tones.
Reactions to medication
Due to this, the most common types of hyperpigmentation are:
- Post-inflammatory: This usually appears in people who have had inflammation to the skin such as acne or eczema, or an injury.
- Age/Sun Spots: These usually appear after an extended period of sun exposure or on older adults.
- Melasma: This tends to appear as large patches of darkened skin and is most common in people who are pregnant or taking birth control pills. People with darker skin are also more likely to develop melasma.
How can African Black Soap Improve the Appearance of Hyperpigmentation?
Along with many other skin conditions, African Black Soap is particularly effective at improving the appearance of hyperpigmentation due to many of its unique ingredients that can benefit your skin. Some of these ingredients include:
- Cocoa Ash contains flavonoids and polyphenols which help reduce damage caused by UV rays. This is because these compounds increase the thickness of your skin, meaning there is a strong protective barrier against environmental damage. This extra protection means your skin is less likely to suffer from free-radical damage - including hyperpigmentation.
- Plantain peels have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties as they contain a compound called allantoin. This means it can kill the bacteria that causes acne, whilst helping to reduce scarring during the healing process. In turn, this should help reduce the appearance and risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Coconut oil is a safe remedy for psoriasis, as its moisture content can help relieve itchy and scaly patches of skin. This will again reduce the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation by taking care of any inflammation caused by psoriasis.
The Proof …
Proving the soap’s magic, according to a 2017 research survey 45% of people reported being “very satisfied” and 40% reported being “somewhat satisfied” with the use of African Black Soap for reducing the appearance of dark spots. 
Other Ways to Improve the Appearance of Hyperpigmentation
Alongside regular use of African Black Soap, other steps you can take to avoid developing or improve the appearance of hyperpigmentation include:
- Minimising UV ray damage by wearing sunscreen or moisturiser with an SPF of at least 30.
- You can also wear clothing or accessories such as hats or scarves to block the sunlight from skin damage.
- To avoid developing hyperpigmentation through skin inflammation, avoid picking at scabs, spots or acne to let the skin heal on its own.
So there we have it! Due to it's wonderful properties, African Black Soap can be used to improve hyperpigmentation.
If you are wanting to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, why not give Kokoa’s Raw, Authentic, Organic, Traditional African Black Soap a try!
Remember, everyone’s skin is different and will need to be cared for in different ways. Let us know if you have a secret skincare remedy for improving the appearance of hyperpigmentation!